Brigg Town Football Club CIC

Toolstation Northern Counties East Football League - Division One


Brigg Town FC CIC 3-0 Hall Road Rangers

Saturday 9th October 2021 | Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One

Words by Bob Taylor | Images by Melv Chudley

After a free Saturday the previous week, Brigg faced Hall Road Rangers from Hull at home, which attracted another decent-sized crowd to support both teams in a competitive league match.

Rangers had an early chance to open the scoring when Craig Muirhead won possession outside the penalty area and slipped the ball forward for Chris Spinks to get a foot to it but it was wide of Miles Fenty’s outstretched hand past the upright post. Brigg responded with Alfie Usher finding space on the left-wing but his cross into the penalty area caught Jack Richardson off-side. More good work by Alfie Usher resulted in his shot being blocked. Rangers won a free kick on their right-wing but this was played too deep and sailed out of play beyond the far post. A second free kick from the same area of the pitch was kept low but still ran out of play. Craig Muirhead looked a danger to the home defenders whenever he took possession and he tested Miles Fenty with a snapshot. Brigg’s main threat continued to come from combination play between Dayle Hutson, Alfie Usher and Scott Phillips who were beginning to get more involvement. Dayle Hutson took control of the ball from a left-wing throw and delivered a telling cross into the goal area but the ball was cleared for a corner kick before being booted away. Rangers continued to press forward and Chris Spinks attempted a long-range shot but this was wide of the top angle of the goal. Scott Phillips suffered an injury mid-way through the first half but continued after treatment. Brigg’s best move came after half an hour of play when Martin Pembleton back-heeled the ball into the path of Jack Richardson whose shot went narrowly wide. Continuing to press forward, Brigg were awarded a penalty kick after thirty eight minutes of play when Scott Phillips was brought down in the area by young ‘keeper Tom McCauley. Scott Phillips took the spot kick and drove the ball into the back of the net and then was substituted for his injury. In the last action of the first half, another forward thrust resulted in a shot from James Playford clearing the crossbar.

Brigg began the second half with more purpose but their first attack was held up inside the penalty area. After making two more on-field substitutions after sixty minutes, Alfie Usher’s firm header was blocked. Dayle Hutson and Alfie Usher were being tightly marked when attempting to control the ball in dangerous areas. Chas Fisher also took a knock but continued to play after treatment. Pushing further forward and seeking something from the game, Rangers won a free kick just outside the penalty area but this was well defended and Miles Fenty had no direct real worries during the half. After seventy-five minutes, there was an incident in the Rangers’ goal mouth which resulted in the referee showing red cards to Brigg’s Dayle Hutson and Rangers’ Paul Wray. Brigg generally controlled the play for the rest of the game. After Alfie Usher was played clear to race into the penalty area on the left, he sent a stinging shot which went over the crossbar. Then after eighty five minutes, Jack Richardson was rewarded for his perseverance in winning the ball on the right-wing before advancing into the area and driving it into the back of the net. With the three points now seemingly secured, Brigg added a third goal to their tally in added time when Chris Playford put the finishing touch to a right wing cross after it was played into the penalty area for him.

Brigg are without a game again during the week ahead but face FC Humber United away at Selby Town’s home ground on October 19th before their Lincolnshire Senior Trophy home tie against Bourne on Saturday October 23rd.

Match Attendance: 326