Brigg Town Football Club CIC

Toolstation Northern Counties East Football League - Division One


Hallam 3-2 Brigg Town FC CIC

Tuesday 28th December 2021 | Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One

Words by Bob Taylor | Images by Melv Chudley

There was a pitch inspection mid-morning to confirm the game was on and a crowd of 1128 turned out to witness both teams display creditable effort from the first whistle to the last.

From the kick-off Hallam attacked down the left wing to win a long throw into the area which was headed clear. Brigg responded with a free kick given for a foul against Scott Phillips by Matt Smith catching the attacking players offside. A weak pass back to Hallam goalkeeper Myles Wright was cleared and the home team mounted a couple of dangerous right-wing raids. Shots at goal at both ends of the pitch went over the respective crossbars. A free kick from Jack Brownell mid-way into the Brigg half was headed out of the area but returned with another strike over the bar. The opening goal was scored after eighteen minutes after a Brigg attack was broken down with a long ball played quickly into the path of Iren Wilson for him to advance into the penalty area before striking the ball into the roof of David Birch’s goal. Two minutes later, Jonathan Oglesby drove another shot over the bar following a free kick.

Brigg began to enjoy more possession going up the pronounced slope but Myles Wright handled confidently in the home goal. Brigg managed to get the ball into the back of the net but Josh Batty was caught offside. In end to end play, the large crowd were being well entertained and seemingly enjoying every minute of play. Hallam went close to doubling the score after half an hour when Kieren Watson’s header struck the crossbar before being cleared. Brigg had a good ten minute spell up to the break but at half time the single goal lead stood.

In the second minute of the re-start, Brigg were awarded a penalty kick after a foul in the area and Scott Phillips drove the ball into the roof of the net to equalise the score. Playing with the slope in their favour, Brigg enjoyed more possession but the home team always threatened on counter-attacks. Iren Wilson scored a second goal after fifty three minutes after making space down the right-wing again before cutting inside to drive the ball across the face of David Birch’s goal with a shot into the far corner of the net, an excellent strike in any game. Brigg continued to push for another equaliser but the Hallam defence stood firm. Substitutions were made but were ineffective. Hallam scored a third goal after eighty three minutes because of poor defending against a harmless looking left-wing attack. The ball ran loose outside the goal area and attempts to clear failed before Craig Mitchell was able to bundle a shot into the bottom of the net. This goal looked to have sealed the game but Brigg made a late surge and scored again three minutes from time when Jonathan Oglesby struck a firm low shot into the corner of the net from fifteen yards out.

The home team saw the game out despite the valiant late recovery from the Brigg team sending the large home crowd contingent happy, but Non-League football was the real winner overall in this festive season fixture.