Brigg Town Football Club CIC
Toolstation Northern Counties East Football League - Division One

Clay Cross Town 2-4 Brigg Town FC CIC

Tuesday 27th February 2024
Words by


Photos by


The game was switched to Brigg’s EC Surfacing Stadium after an inspection at Clay Cross confirmed their pitch was unplayable.

The kick-off time was delayed slightly but within the first two minutes of play two goals were scored. After forty-five seconds Brigg responded to the Millers’ opening attack when Luke Mascall raced on to a loose ball inside the penalty area to drive it low into the back of the net.

Straight from the restart, Clay Cross equalised after Gracjan Klimczak took advantage of a poorly defended attempted clearance to beat goalkeeper Lewis Hill.

After this initial action, both teams settled down to search for clear openings. Luke Anderson was prominent in Brigg’s attacks but a couple of hurried drives finished over the crossbar.

Hill made two low diving saves from successive left wing attacks and Brigg continued to press when the Clay Cross midfield was temporarily weakened by an injured player needing treatment.

A free kick into the Millers’ goal area was headed away to safety and another was delivered into the crowded goalmouth from the left wing for the ’keeper to set up a counterattack.

Brigg regained the lead after thirty-four minutes when Luke Mascall once again raced on to a loose ball played forward down the left to drive it into the net, giving the ‘home’ team a single-goal lead before the half time break.

The second half began with a third Brigg goal after two minutes of the restart. It came from Jack Boswell following an inter-passing move down the left wing with a weak clearance falling to him at the edge of the penalty area in a central position. His quick strike found the corner of the net. The two-goal cushion gave Brigg confidence to start passing the ball about better and Prince Haywood was again commanding in midfield.

A dangerous free kick from Steve McCarron was well-defended and when the Clay Cross players pushed forward, they were caught offside.

Both teams used their substitutes from the hour mark onwards but no clear chances arose for either team as play became scrappy.

Brigg looked comfortable holding on to their lead but with ten minutes remaining, Clay Cross scored a second goal. It came after the ball was given away in midfield, falling into the path of Reece Clegg whose strike found the corner of the Brigg goal.

The success of this second goal encouraged Clay Cross to push forward with more confidence, but the Brigg defence stood firm with Jacob Norburn outstanding.

In the last minute of the game, Brigg sealed the win with a fourth goal scored by the ever-eager Scott Hutchinson, whose strike from an acute angle ensured the three points.

Zebras Eleven:

Hill, Ronis, Spencer, Haywood, Norburn, McCarron, McCarthy, Vasquez, Mascall, Anderson, Boswell


Petronzio, Griffin, Usher, Burnett-Hayes, Hutchinson

Contact us about advertising opportunities in this space.